Easy Hand Casting Kit contains everything you’ll need to produce a hard stone lifecasting hand cast. You can do one or two adult hands together, an adult and a baby, or up three children’s hands- all together in one sculpture.
Unless the model has long fingernails, nothing needs to be done to the hands to make them ready. If the skin is rough and dry, a little hand cream will make the procedure easier.
- Measure out the water, and pour the water into the “Mix-In-The-Bag” alginate that comes with the kit.
- Mix the alginate in the bag according to the printed instructions and/or the procedural DVD.
- Pour the alginate into the Hand Casting Bucket- that comes in the kit.
- Plunge the hand(s) into the alginate mixture and immediately remove them.
- Rub the hands to dislodge any trapped air bubbles. The most common areas to trap bubbles are around the fingernails, between the fingers where they join, in the lines of the palm and at the base of any small hairs on the back of the hand or on the forearm. This can be done in just a few seconds.
- Plunge the hands back into the alginate. Touch the bottom of the bucket and then bring the hands UP about 3/4 of an inch. Remember you can’t touch the sides or the bottom of the bucket or your casting will not come out well.
- When the alginate sets, manually break the seal around the wrists by removing a little of the alginate that is on the forearm just above the alginate surface.
- Have the model wiggle their hand and fingers. They need to feel that air has gotten all the way down to their fingertips before attempting to remove their hand(s) from the mold.
- Pour the LiquiStone Gypsum Cement into the mold as soon as you can. Wait one hour before unmolding according to the instructions.